Close the Loop
Close the Loop
Group members and e-mails
Ann Rogers – email@example.com
Kushal Waghmare - firstname.lastname@example.org
Intrusions by other people, a major cause of nurse interruption, have been shown to increase medication errors, raise stress levels and decrease productivity in task completion. Studies on the effects of interruptions show that subjects require more time to complete tasks if they are interrupted while working on it with an unrelated task. Additionally, interruptions have been shown to impair decision-making ability on complex tasks and negatively impact emotional well-being.
Current intrusion prevention strategies like colored vests, No Interruptions Zones, signboards, placards etc. are limited in scope, performance, and understandability.
Description of the solution with relevant sketches
Please find the solutions and sketches in the adjoining document: Media: Solutions, Sketches (Close the Loop).pdf
• Look up more articles on general interruption problems. • Flesh out topic paper with above information. • Order Lilypad arduino kit, LEDs, switches, conductive thread. • Read Arduino documentation. • Program lilypad using Arduino. Write code in C to display different symbols using LEDs.
• Buy scrubs, iron on transfers, fabric and sewing supplies. • Design 3 symbols in Abobe Illustrator. • Compose paragraph about current solutions and their problems and how we will address them. • Compose paragraph about signage and symbols in health-care. • Email surplus to find mannequins.
• Meet with Halley Profita to discuss social acceptability of wearable media. • Communicate with Dr. Ackerman, Dr. Zimring and nurses/nurse administrators regarding nurse interviews and possible tests.
• Write C code using Arduino for timer implementation, switches. • Connections between Lilypad, LEDs, power source.
• Print our iron-on to sleeves. • Attach, sew everything together.
• Write portion of paper detailing nurse activities as they relate to impacts of interruptions based on interviews with nurses.
• Attach LEDs to the scrub shoulders and switch to the bottom/sleeves.
Ann & Kushal
• Research badges. • Make room signage/pamphlets for staff and families.
Ann & Kushal
• Have final report finished. • Have full scale mockups complete. • Troubleshoot.
• Test Digital Solution.
• Test Analog Solution.
• Integrate solutions.
Please find the resource needs and budget proposal in the adjoining document: Media: Resources, Budget Proposal (Close the Loop).pdf
Main faculty coach you request
Draft outline of the final report
Background Research (Literature review, Nurse Interviews, Feedbacks)
Benefits and Experimental Results (from Nurse feedbacks and mock-up tests)
We will develop a interruption prevention system consisting of nursing scrubs with analog indicators and digital displays. The analog solution will have different layers of clothing with different symbols (indicators) sewn onto the nurse scrubs. The digital solution will have Lilypad and LEDs sewn onto the nursing scrubs displaying symbols. We will use mannequins to display our solutions.
We will have a presentation of our solution along with pamphlets for staff information and placards, posters for informing family of the use of interruption prevention strategies.
Presentation - Media:Presentation Slides (Close the Loop).ppt
Poster - Media:Poster (Close the Loop).pdf
Brochure - Media:Brochure (Close the Loop).pdf
Call-out diagram - Media:Call Out (Close the Loop).jpg