1. How do we facilitate family involvement in ICU care and decision-making, and how do we convince clinical staff that this involvement is of sufficient benefit to outweigh the accompanying burden of coordinating this involvement?
Why does this problem persist?
1) Traditional ICU care has generally limited visiting hours and access
2) Family involvement is often seen as a burden on clinicians’ time and attention, and a practical obstacle to providing patient care
3) Clinicians may be reluctant to work under the scrutiny of more real-time family presence
4) Families are often not educated on their roles in the care process and decision-making