Day 2- Emergency Room for the Future
The business of the class was to understand how an ER can be made effective. To understand the factors which needs to be considered while designing an ER . We had the following presentations.
- Marilyn's presentation on Nursing and the problems faced by the nursing sector in the country.
- Jim's presentation on Hospital Design and the adjacency involved.
- Marvina's presentation on ER and the new changes and concepts in the field of ER.
The class would be visiting Emory hospital to understand how ER functions there.
Questions I have for Emory
- How will Emory manage an emergency situation where the demand for treatment exceeds what the ER is prepared to handle?
- How are the nosocomial infections contained in an ER when the patient flow rate is very high?
- How well are the ERs organized to handle proper information flow between patients and doctors ? Between the ER staff, between doctors(especially when a transfer of a patient occurs from ER to another department)?
- Do we use IT services for communication and keeping a data bank of patients coming to ER?
- How can engineers help in designing a better ER at Emory? To know the perspective of ER staffs.
I feel so :-)