Difference between revisions of "MobiBuzz"
(→MobiBuzz: A Mobile Alarm Management System)
(→Screen caps of the system)
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
Revision as of 15:52, 7 December 2012
MobiBuzz: A Mobile Alarm Management System
Chen Feng, Ph.D. Architecture, firstname.lastname@example.org
Yash Kshirsagar, MS Computer Science(HCI), email@example.com
False alarms are a major cause of 'alarm fatigue' in nurses, with percentages as high as 98% at Grady Hospital, Atlanta. They also tend to induce anxiety and stress in patients. MobiBuzz provides a platform through which the nurses and the central monitor at Grady Hospital can communicate silently, yet informing of potential emergencies. The system would sit onto the nurses' wrists like a digital wristband to enable ease-of-use and prevent obstruction to medical tasks.
Clinical alarms cause mental stress to both medical staff and patients. The alarms go off in the patient room in Grady Hospital and typically do not propagate out of the room, which not only cannot instantly inform the nurse but also poses a significant stress on the patient. Worse still, most of the alarms are false alarms which easily cause alarm fatigue. How to reduce the noise of alarms while keeping the staff informed is a big concern.
- To eliminate the alarms in patient rooms while keep the medical staff informed via advanced communication device. Whether to retain alarms? -No. As a dominant source of impulsive noise, the alarms impose negative effects on the health, anxiety and annoyance of both caregivers and patients.
- Our system proposes to reduce 'Alarm Fatigue' by silencing alarms in patient rooms and leveraging the use of the central monitor position to monitor for true emergencies and notify those to the patient nurses through our device. The nurse can wear the device like a wrist-band and gets notifications on emergencies which she can choose to view more information about and take immediate action. The device helps communication between nurses and the central monitor and also relieves patients of the constant noise of alarms that may disturb or stress them out.
- Our expectations:
1. Effectively reduces the impulsive noise
2. Significantly alleviates the alarm fatigue and stress
3. Better communication between the medical staff
Screen caps of the system
Emergency screen for Patient nurse :
Nurse views real-time vital signs of patient :
Nurse makes a decision based on the level of emergency or her availability :
Charge Nurse receives a live feed of all on-going emergencies for monitoring purposes :
Charge Nurse can decide to assign a new nurse in case of unavailability of patient's nurse for attending emergency :
Project Presentation: File:MobiBuzz Yash Chen.pptx